Counselors in Training (CITs)
Calleva C.I.T.s are campers capable of being mature role models who are ready to embrace leadership opportunities throughout their camp week. They are NOT volunteer staff members.
Counselors in Training (CITs)
CITs get to participate in all camp activities while practicing some of the skills and responsibilities of Calleva staff. They may be asked to take on specific leadership roles throughout the camp day, and will receive feedback from their instructor regarding their specific strengths and leadership styles.
CITs must be 14 or 15 years old, and be already enrolled as a camper in an Adventure Camp in either MD or VA (Rock climbing, Sailing, SUP, Rafting, Kayaking, Art, Film, Fishing, HBR, Growing Green, or Camper Vs Wild). There are no CITs in Sampler Camps or High Adventure programs.
- Model good behavior, including appropriate and positive language and participation in camp activities.
- Be a friend to all campers. Encourage nervous or struggling campers. Be inclusive.
- Approach camp with a positive attitude – enthusiasm is contagious!
- Communicate with the staff you are working with & BE PROACTIVE. Ask how you can help and do your best to perform any tasks or responsibilities assigned to you.
- Never discipline other campers. Remember, you are still a camper yourself. Focus instead on modeling good behavior.
- Begin to think about camp from a counselor’s perspective. How can you help make transitions go smoothly? What are the group dynamics within your activity? What characteristics of the Calleva staff make them good leaders?
CIT Outings and Feedback
There will be several CIT outings held on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer (specific dates TBD). We encourage CITs to attend as many as possible in order to bond with fellow campers of similar age, and to develop their skills as an outdoor leader. Outings are free and optional.
Registration & Process
- Applicants need to REGISTER and get a spot in for an activity camp before they apply to the CIT program! Pay in full for your week(s) of camp like normal.
- Click here to apply for the CIT program. This application should take 5-10 minutes and should be completed by the camper, with limited parent involvement.
- The CIT director will notify successful CIT applicants and communicate directly with them (and their parents) about expectations and outings.
Service Hours and Feedback:
- CITs are eligible to earn a limited number of SSL hours each week. (The maximum SSL award for Calleva CITs= 10 hrs/week, determined by Camp Leadership and based on feedback from the relevant Instructor/Head Counselor.)
- CITs are responsible for bringing any relevant SSL paperwork to the CIT director, with their portion filled out. This should occur during or after the week(s) attended.
- At the end of each week, CITs will receive feedback from the instructor they worked with regarding their
IMPORTANT NOTE: No CITs on Sampler Camps, High Adventure trips, or LIT trips.
Volunteer JC (15 yrs)
I am 15 this summer – should I be a camper (CIT) or apply as a volunteer JC?
…You can do BOTH!
As a volunteer, you will be placed where Calleva has a need as opposed to choosing your activity as a camper. You need to be available for at least 4 weeks, complete a staff application, attend an interview and staff training.
While we match skills where we can, we do not guarantee that you will be placed with a specific activity.
As a staff member, whether volunteer or paid, we aim to have a minimum 2 year age gap between counselors and campers, so it is likely that you will be helping with a younger age group.
Calleva CIT Application 2024
Counselors in training (CITs) are 14 and 15 year olds who serve as role models and leaders within our Adventure Camp groups. CITs get to participate in daily camp activities while practicing the skills and responsibilities of Calleva staff. The following application should be filled out by the camper, with minimal parent help. Feel free to contact CIT@calleva.org with any questions.