Maryland Summer Camps
Since 1993, Calleva has been providing outdoor adventures for families in the Washington DC area. Our summer camp programs run out of Riley’s Lock along the C&O Canal at the confluence of Seneca Creek and the Potomac River. Calleva has something for everyone — from day programs for your little ones to week long high adventures for teens. Our camps are designed around a 5-day “building block style ” curriculum with age-appropriate adventures.
2019 Registration Is Now Open
- CUBS (4-5 year olds): Calleva introduces our youngest campers to loving and caring for the outdoors in a fun and nurturing environment. Expect singing, educational learning, caring for animals, and amazing stories.
- EXPLORERS (6-8 year olds): With a focus on elementary skills and confidence building, campers experience some of the core Calleva adventure activities along with traditional summer camp experiences, like games, arts & crafts, and silly songs.
- EXPLORERS EXTREME SAMPLER (8-9 year olds): Known affectionately as “E-X-P-X”, this is for 8 and 9 year old campers who are excited to experience the fun and challenges of a whole day of skill building in outdoor activities but who are not quite ready to choose an Adventure Camp and overnight.
- ISLAND DAY CAMP (9-12 year olds): Evolved from our popular Adventure Island Camp, but without the overnight. This incredible island experience is exclusively for 9-12 year olds with exciting new activities such as creeking, high and low ropes challenges and fire-building alongside some of our ‘old favorites’ like rapid swimming, paddling duckies & canoes and ‘King of the Log’ and even Island arts & crafts!
- ADVENTURE CAMPS (9-15 year olds): In a single week, Adventure Campers journey from learning an “activity” to applying their skills during Thursday overnight adventure. Camp options include: Art in Nature, Fishing, Growing Green, Duncan’s (Land) Adventures, Gresko’s (Water) Adventures, Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Stand-up Paddleboarding, Rafting, Rock Climbing, Sailing.
- SAMPLER (9-15 year olds): When you can’t decide on one adventure, why not do them all?? Calleva’s Sampler week is truly a “best of” package, great for campers who are exploring the options! Sampler is offered for limited weeks at the beginning & end of summer.
- HIGH ADVENTURES (12-17 year olds): Many teens are ready to take their adventure to the next level with a week or more totally immersed in one activity. High Adventure trips allow your teen to embrace adventure, teamwork, and the great outdoors while mastering skills in Surfing, Sailing, Kayaking, Climbing, Caving, Backpacking, and more!
- LEADERSHIP SCHOOL (13-17 year olds): Life changing courses that integrate wilderness camping and leadership training for young people. Courses range from 5-7 days, emphasizing principles & tools for maintaining a focused, goal-oriented perspective which will help them navigate the increasing complexities of adolescence and young adulthood.
Due to safety concerns related to congestion and traffic disruption at some of our bus stops, we are working to reduce our footprint. For several of our most trafficked neighborhoods, we have added additional stops and we are limiting capacity to a single bus at each location. If your preferred pick up point is showing FULL on the transportation matrix, please review the other stops near you and select an alternative route.
Thank you for your understanding and for working with us to get your children to and from camp safely.
Additional note: We do not have a wait list for bus routes. Occasionally, families change their plans and space on the bus opens up at the last minute. You can always check back with us regarding a switch when your camp week nears.