Maryland Summer Camps
For 25 years Calleva has been providing outdoor adventures for families in the Washington DC area, and is best known for our summer camp programs running out of Riley’s Lock along the C&O Canal. With everything from day programs for your little ones, to week long high adventures for your teens, Calleva has something for everyone! Camps are designed around a 5-day “building block style ” curriculum with age-appropriate adventures. Our amazing camp offerings include:
- CUBS (4-5 year olds): Our introduction to loving and caring for the outdoors in a fun and caring environment. Expect singing, educational learning, caring for animals, and amazing stories.
- EXPLORERS (6-8 year olds): Camper get to focus on some of the core Calleva adventure activities, and broaden the appeal with some more traditional camping experiences.
- EXPLORERS EXTREME SAMPLER (8-9 year olds): Known affectionately as “E-X-P-X”, this is for 8 and 9 year old campers who are excited to experience the fun and challenges of a whole day delving into one outdoors activity, but not quite ready to choose an Adventure Camp whole week focus and overnight.
- ISLAND DAY CAMP (9-12 year olds): Evolved from our popular Adventure Island Camp without the overnight. This incredible island experience is exclusively for 9-12 year olds with exciting new activities such as Island arts & crafts, Creeking, high and low ropes challenges and fire-building alongside some of our ‘old favorites’ like rapid swimming, paddling duckies and canoes and ‘King of the Log’!
- ADVENTURE CAMPS (9-15 year olds): Camper journey from learning an “activity” to applying it on an adventurous thursday overnight. Camps include: Caving, Art in Nature, Fishing, Growing Green, Grunkan’s Land & Water Adventures, Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Paddleboarding, Rafting, Rock Climbing, Sailing.
- SAMPLER (9-15 year olds): When you just decide on one adventure, why not do them all…. or at least a “best of” package! These weeks are limited to the beginning & end of summer.
- HIGH ADVENTURES (12-17 year olds): Taking the overnight to the next level with a week or so totally immersed in your activity, your adventure, your team, and the outdoors! Great opportunity to master your skills; including Surfing, Sailing, Kayaking, Climbing, Caving, Backpacking and more!
- LEADERSHIP SCHOOL (13-17 year olds): Life changing courses that integrate wilderness camping and leadership training for young people. Courses range from 5-7 days.