Maryland Summer Camps
Since 1993, Calleva has been providing outdoor adventures for families in the Washington DC area. Our summer camp programs run out of Riley’s Lock along the C&O Canal at the confluence of Seneca Creek and the Potomac River. Calleva has something for everyone — from day programs for your little ones, to week long high adventures for teens. Our camps are designed around a 5-day “building block style ” curriculum with age-appropriate adventures.
- CUBS (4-5 years): Calleva introduces our youngest campers to loving and caring for the outdoors in a fun and nurturing environment. Expect singing, educational learning, caring for animals, and amazing stories.
- EXPLORERS (6-8 years): With a focus on elementary skills and confidence building, campers experience some of the core Calleva adventure activities along with traditional summer camp experiences, like games, arts & crafts, and silly songs.
NEW for 2020!…
- EPIC 2 WEEK SAMPLER CAMP! (8-12 years): 2 WEEK PROGRAM
Evolved from our popular Sampler weeks and bringing together the very best of EXPX and Island Day Camp, this brand new 2 WEEK program is the first of its kind at Calleva! This incredible experience is exclusively for 8-12 years; filled with exciting activities & adventures including kayaking, climbing, hiking, rafting, canoeing, challenge course activities & archery …as well as one day each week on Adventure Island to enjoy our old favorites like creeking, rapid swimming, rope swinging & ‘King of the Log’!
Campers will sign up for two consecutive weeks and stay in the same group with a consistent group counselor for all activities.
- ADVENTURE CAMPS (9-15 years): In a single week, Adventure Campers journey from learning an “activity” to applying their skills during Thursday overnight adventure. Camp options include: Adventure Island, Fishing, Growing Green, Duncan’s Land Adventures, Gresko’s Water Adventures, Horseback Riding, Kayaking, Mountain Biking (11+), TEEN Stand-up Paddleboarding, Rafting, Rock Climbing, Sailing. New for 2020 ~ OneWheel Camp (11+)!
- SAMPLER (9-15 years): When you can’t decide on one adventure, why not do them all?! Calleva’s Sampler week is truly a “best of” package, great for campers who are exploring the options! Sampler is offered for limited weeks at the beginning & end of summer.
- HIGH ADVENTURES (12-17 years): Many teens are ready to take their adventure to the next level with a week or more totally immersed in one activity. High Adventure trips allow your teen to embrace adventure, teamwork, and the great outdoors while mastering skills in Surfing, Kayaking, Climbing, Caving, Backpacking, and more!
- LEADERSHIP SCHOOL (13-17 years): Life changing courses that integrate wilderness camping and leadership training for young people. Courses range from 5-7 days, emphasizing principles & tools for maintaining a focused, goal-oriented perspective which will help them navigate the increasing complexities of adolescence and young adulthood.
Transportation Note: Due to safety concerns related to congestion and traffic disruption at some of our bus stops, we are working to reduce our footprint. For several of our most trafficked neighborhoods, we have added additional stops and we are limiting capacity to a single bus at each location. If your preferred pick up point is showing FULL on the transportation matrix, please review the other stops near you and select an alternative route.
Thank you for your understanding and for working with us to get your children to and from camp safely.
Additional note: We do not have a wait list for bus routes. Occasionally, families change their plans and space on the bus opens up at the last minute. You can always check back with us regarding a switch when your camp week nears.