Staff Resource Page
Welcome to the Calleva Staff Resources page. Here you will find important information regarding paperwork, the gear use policy, CDL training information, and important dates for different trainings and staff outings.
Staff Paperwork & Certifications
Congratulations! We are excited to have you working at Calleva! All staff paperwork MUST be completed and turned in by May 1st. You will not be scheduled to work until ALL of your paperwork has been completed. Below is a detail of what needs to be turned in but if you have any questions about paperwork please contact Nicole.
ALL RETURNING and NEW Staff will be required to fill out a W-4, Staff Health & Waiver Statement, Voluntary Disclosure Form, Bob Ditter Affidavit, I-9, and read & take the Handbook Quiz. Each of those forms will be completed and submitted online. You will complete those forms through the links provided in an e-mail.
Before completing the Bob Ditter Affidavit ALL staff must watch this VIDEO in its entirety regarding summer staff guidelines for dealing and interacting with campers. Here are two helpful resources:
Before orientation ALL Staff should memorize our basic Emergency Action Plan.
ALL NEW Staff will also be required to complete two Background Checks:
- Criminal Background Check- Fingerprints
- Fill out this Fingerprint Form, print it and bring it to any fingerprinting center at these Locations. We suggest using American Fingerprinting Services in Bethesda. ***Fingerprints must be done in Maryland so if you are currently out of state you will need to get your fingerprints done once you are in Maryland.
- You MUST bring a valid form of government identification (ie. driver’s license, Certificate of Naturalization, passport, Alien Registration Card, or Military Identification) AND bring payment (major credit cards, checks, and money orders are accepted. Cash is not accepted at the State Operated Fingerprinting Centers).
- Calleva reimburses FBI processing fee of $37 and half the scanning fee if completed before Orientation. A receipt must be submitted in order for a reimbursement to be processed.
- Background Clearance for Child Protective Services
- You will need to go to https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.stat
e.md.us/dashboardClient/#/home and create your own myDHR account and complete the CPS Clearance Form.
- Once you have completed the online form you will print it out and get it notarized. (American Fingerprinting Services provides notary services for $4.00. There will be no reimbursement for the notary cost.)
- Once the form has been notarized you can either drop it off or mail it into the Calleva Office.
- You will need to go to https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.stat
2018 Pay Scale :
ALL JCs and HCs receive a weekly pay raise when working weeks 10,11 and 12
|JC||HC||INS @ EXP, EXPX, IDC or VA (18+)||INS @ EXP, EXPX, IDC or VA (21+)||INS Adventure Camp (21+)|
|1 – $100||1 – $325 ($275 per week/ *Extra $50 at end)||1 – $400||4 – $425||1 – $475|
|2 – $120||2 – $350 ($300 per week/ *Extra $50 at end)||2 – $425||5 – $450||2 – $500|
|3 – $150||3 – $375 ($325 per week/ *Extra $50 at end)||3 – $450||6 – $475||3 – $525|
|*Extra $50 per week is dependent on original weeks being completed||No Overnight||No overnight||Includes overnight responsibilities|
Numbers do not necessarily represent years worked, they are just for pay purposes. A person may have worked three years but be on level 2, or worked 1 year and be on level 3.
2018 Head Counselor (HC) Pay; HCs will initially be paid $275, $300 or $325 depending on level. To motivate staff to keep to the 8 week minimum and the dates they state they are available (as stated in employee contract), all HCs who fulfil their original weeks will be paid an additional $50 per week that they worked. This will be added to the final summer pay check. Therefore for all HCs who stick to their date/week agreement, the actual pay rate will be $325, $350 or $375. Please email Lucy Martin with any queries about pay rate.
Please make copies of all your certifications that are relevant to Calleva and your position and get them to Nicole in the office so she can put it in your file. This also includes CPR and First Aid certifications. If you are needing certifications, you must email your director.
Dates to Remember
- May 12th Camp Open House Riley’s Lock 10 – 1pm
- May 16-20 American Canoe Association Kayak Instructor IDW
- May 23rd First Aid training eve at Rileys Lock 5-10pm
- May 24th CPR training eve at Rileys Lock 5-10pm
- May 25th Instructor Professional Day (Instructors only)
- May 30th, 31st, June 1st Instructor training challenge (mandatory for instructors)
- June Sat 2nd Swift Water Introduction
- June Sun 3rd Swift Water Advanced
- June 6th First Aid training eve at Rileys Lock 5-10pm
- June 7th CPR training eve at Rileys Lock 5-10pm
- June Fri 8th HC Professional Day (HCs only)
- June 9th/10th ALL staff overnight and training (mandatory for all)
- June 11th Week 1 of camp (not counted as one of min work weeks)
- June 11th-15th HC and JC Pre-Summer Jumpstart Training Week 1*
- June 13th Additional First Aid or CPR training eve if previous sessions fill
- June 18th-22nd HC and JC Pre-Summer Jumpstart Training Week 2*
- June Sat 23rd ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 1 (Specific Activities TBD)*
- June TBD Pay date for Weeks 1,2
- July Sun 1st ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 2*
- July Sat 7th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 3*
- July Sat 14th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 4*
- July Sun 22nd ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 5*
- July Sun 29th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 6*
- July TBD – Pay date for Weeks 3,4,5,6
- August 4/5th Calleva 25th Reunion weekend extravaganza!
- Aug Sat 5th – Calleva PROM -All Alumni Staff welcome
- Aug TBD – Calleva Adventure Race (registration required)
- Aug Sat 11th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 7*
- Aug Sun 12th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 8*
- Aug Sat 25th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 9*
- August TBD – Pay date for Weeks 7,8,9,10
Friday after camp ‘FACTs’ every week starting June 22nd
*Email Bill to register for these training dates
Procedure for Borrowing Gear
We encourage you to use gear, but it must be used responsibly and respectfully. Every staff member has the privilege to use gear, however that privilege can be revoked at any time for using gear improperly, dangerously, or borrowing without returning, securing, or asking. Staff MUST follow the procedures for borrowing gear. Staff are NOT allowed to use any climbing gear or inflatable SUPs.
- Fill out the gear sign out form when you are taking gear. You are only allowed to take gear during business hours (8:30-5:30).
- Fill out the gear return form when you are returning gear. Gear needs to be returned before the start of the next business day (8:30).
- If you do not have a smart phone let Gear Manager know and he will work out a procedure for you.
- Everyone has 3 strikes. You can receive strikes for not filling sign out form, not returning gear properly, or for returning or putting away gear from your program in a messy, disorganized way.
- Calleva relies on this gear to ensure programs run smooth and you all know or will know that when the gear is in good shape where it is supposed to be, programs are better and staff are less stressed and rushed.
Bus Drivers and Counselors
All CDL DRIVERS and INSTRUCTORS need to read the Bus Safety & Driving Policy Handbook and attend Driver Training (Email Baldy for date/time). Large bus drivers with a CDL licence can expect to receive $200 to $250 pay for driving per week.
We are looking for BUS COUNSELORS. If you are interested, please fill out this form. Some of the bus counselor responsibilities include taking daily attendance to and from camp, greeting campers and parents at the stop, and ensuring campers have a safe and fun trip to and from camp. FYI: Being a bus counselor is additional pay each week; $50 for small bus and $75 for big bus.
Example of emails the office receives: BusFrustrations (yes,this is legit!)
If you were told you need your CDL. You have to fill out the MVA Medical Form & the MVA Medical Card filled out by physician and also study Chapters 1-4 and 11-13 of the Commercial Drivers License Manual (optional: download the app) Once you know the material, go to the MVA and take the test for your Learners Permit (Class B with Passenger & Airbrake Endorsements) AND Schedule a date for your Practical Test. Once you have your learners contact your director to schedule your driver’s training.
Camp Forms & Notes
- Need to call parent for any reason? You must send a follow-up email to office at calleva.org describing the call and what was discussed.
- Incident Form (behavioral).
- Accident Form(requires first aid).
- Evaluation by an Instructor, Head Counselor, or Junior Counselor.
- Reimbursement Form. Fill out form and place in envelope marked “Reimbursement” with a copy of the receipts and turn into office.
- 1stAid Class Notes
- CPR Class Notes