Staff Resource Page
Welcome to the Calleva Staff Resources page. Here you will find important information regarding paperwork, the gear use policy, CDL training information, and important dates for different trainings and staff outings.
Staff Paperwork & Certifications
Congratulations! We are excited to have you working at Calleva! All staff paperwork MUST be completed and turned in by May 1st. You will not be scheduled to work until ALL of your paperwork has been completed. Below is a detail of what needs to be turned in but if you have any questions about paperwork please contact Nicole.
ALL RETURNING and NEW Staff will be required to fill out a W-4, Staff Health & Waiver Statement, Voluntary Disclosure Form, Bob Ditter Affidavit, I-9, and read & take the Handbook Quiz. Each of those forms will be completed and submitted online. You will complete those forms through the links provided in an e-mail.
Before completing the Bob Ditter Affidavit ALL staff must watch this VIDEO in its entirety regarding summer staff guidelines for dealing and interacting with campers. Here are two helpful resources:
Before orientation ALL Staff should memorize our basic Emergency Action Plan.
ALL NEW Staff will also be required to complete two Background Checks:
- Criminal Background Check- Fingerprints
- Fill out this Fingerprint Form, print it and bring it to any fingerprinting center at these Locations. We suggest using American Fingerprinting Services in Bethesda. ***Fingerprints must be done in Maryland so if you are currently out of state you will need to get your fingerprints done once you are in Maryland.
- You MUST bring a valid form of government identification (ie. driver’s license, Certificate of Naturalization, passport, Alien Registration Card, or Military Identification) AND bring payment (major credit cards, checks, and money orders are accepted. Cash is not accepted at the State Operated Fingerprinting Centers).
- Calleva reimburses FBI processing fee of $37 and half the scanning fee if completed before Orientation. A receipt must be submitted in order for a reimbursement to be processed.
- Background Clearance for Child Protective Services
- You will need to go to https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.stat
e.md.us/dashboardClient/#/home and create your own myDHR account and complete the CPS Clearance Form.
- Once you have completed the online form you will print it out and get it notarized. (American Fingerprinting Services provides notary services for $4.00. There will be no reimbursement for the notary cost.)
- Once the form has been notarized you can either drop it off or mail it into the Calleva Office.
- You will need to go to https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.stat
Please make copies of all your certifications that are relevant to Calleva and your position and get them to Nicole in the office so she can put it in your file. This also includes CPR and First Aid certifications. If you are needing certifications, you must email your director.
Dates to Remember
- May 12th Camp Open House Riley’s Lock 10 – 1pm
- May 16-20 American Canoe Association Kayak Instructor IDW
- May 25th Instructor Professional Day (Instructors only)
- May 30th, 31st, June 1st Instructor training challenge (mandatory for instructors)
- June Sat 2nd Swift Water Introduction
- June Sun 3rd Swift Water Advanced
- June Fri 8th HC Professional Day (HCs only)
- June 9th/10th ALL staff overnight and training (mandatory for all)
- June 11th Week 1 of camp (not counted as one of min work weeks)
- June 11th-15th HC and JC Pre-Summer Jumpstart Training Week 1*
- June 18th-22nd HC and JC Pre-Summer Jumpstart Training Week 2*
- June Sat 23rd ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 1 (Specific Activities TBD)*
- June TBD Pay date for Weeks 1,2
- July Sun 1st ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 2*
- July Sat 7th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 3*
- July Sat 14th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 4*
- July Sun 22nd ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 5*
- July Sun 29th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 6*
- July TBD – Pay date for Weeks 3,4,5,6
- August 4/5th Calleva 25th Reunion weekend extravaganza!
- Aug Sat 5th – Calleva PROM -All Alumni Staff welcome
- Aug TBD – Calleva Adventure Race (registration required)
- Aug Sat 11th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 7*
- Aug Sun 12th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 8*
- Aug Sat 25th ‘Hard skills’ Training Session 9*
- August TBD – Pay date for Weeks 7,8,9,10
Friday after camp ‘FACTs’ every week starting June 22nd
*Email Bill to register for these training dates
Procedure for Borrowing Gear
We encourage you to use gear, but it must be used responsibly and respectfully. Every staff member has the privilege to use gear, however that privilege can be revoked at any time for using gear improperly, dangerously, or borrowing without returning, securing, or asking. Staff MUST follow the procedures for borrowing gear. Staff are NOT allowed to use any climbing gear or SUPs.
- Text Gear Manager who you are and which gear you want to use at what time/date. He will make sure it is available and yes or no your request.
- Text Gear Manager a picture of the gear when you get to it so that he can see what condition it is in.
- Text Gear Manager a picture of the gear after you’ve returned it so that he knows that you’ve put it back in an orderly way.
- If you do not have a smart phone let Gear Manager know and he will work out a procedure for you.
- Everyone has 3 strikes. You can receive strikes for not contacting Gear Manager, not returning gear properly, or for returning or putting away gear from your program in a messy, disorganized way.
- Calleva relies on this gear to ensure programs run smooth and you all know or will know that when the gear is in good shape where it is supposed to be, programs are better and staff are less stressed and rushed.
Bus Drivers and Counselors
All CDL DRIVERS and INSTRUCTORS need to read the Bus Safety & Driving Policy Handbook and attend Driver Training (ask you director of date and time).
We are looking for BUS COUNSELORS. If you are interested, please fill out this form. Some of the bus counselor responsibilities include taking daily attendance to and from camp, greeting campers and parents at the stop, and ensuring campers have a safe and fun trip to and from camp. FYI: being a bus counselor is additional pay each week.
Example of emails the office receives: BusFrustrations (yes,this is legit!)
If you were told you need your CDL. You have to fill out the MVA Medical Form & the MVA Medical Card filled out by physician and also study Chapters 1-4 and 11-13 of the Commercial Drivers License Manual (optional: download the app) Once you know the material, go to the MVA and take the test for your Learners Permit (Class B with Passenger & Airbrake Endorsements) AND Schedule a date for your Practical Test. Once you have your learners contact your director to schedule your driver’s training.
Camp Forms & Notes
- Need to call parent for any reason? You must send a follow-up email to office at calleva.org describing the call and what was discussed.
- Incident Form (behavioral).
- Accident Form(requires first aid).
- Evaluation by an Instructor, Head Counselor, or Junior Counselor.
- Reimbursement Form. Fill out form and place in envelope marked “Reimbursement” with a copy of the receipts and turn into office.
- 1stAid Class Notes
- CPR Class Notes