Staff Resource Page
Welcome to the Calleva Staff Resources page. Here you will find important information regarding paperwork, the gear use policy, CDL training information, and important dates for different trainings and staff outings.
Staff Paperwork & Certifications
Congratulations! We are excited to have you working at Calleva! All staff paperwork MUST be completed and turned in by May 1st. You will not be scheduled to work until ALL of your paperwork has been completed. Below is a detail of what needs to be turned in but if you have any questions about paperwork please contact Nicole.
ALL RETURNING and NEW Staff will be required to fill out a W-4, Staff Health & Waiver Statement, Voluntary Disclosure Form, Bob Ditter Affidavit, I-9, and read & take the Handbook Quiz. Each of those forms will be completed and submitted online. You will complete those forms through the links provided in an e-mail.
Before completing the Bob Ditter Affidavit ALL staff must watch this VIDEO in its entirety regarding summer staff guidelines for dealing and interacting with campers. Here are two helpful resources:
Before orientation ALL Staff should memorize our basic Emergency Action Plan.
ALL NEW Staff will also be required to complete two Background Checks:
- Criminal Background Check- Fingerprints
- Fill out this Fingerprint Form, print it and bring it to any fingerprinting center at these Locations. We suggest using American Fingerprinting Services in Bethesda. ***Fingerprints must be done in Maryland so if you are currently out of state you will need to get your fingerprints done once you are in Maryland.
- You MUST bring a valid form of government identification (ie. driver’s license, Certificate of Naturalization, passport, Alien Registration Card, or Military Identification) AND bring payment (major credit cards, checks, and money orders are accepted. Cash is not accepted at the State Operated Fingerprinting Centers).
- Calleva reimburses FBI processing fee of $37 and half the scanning fee if completed before Orientation. A receipt must be submitted in order for a reimbursement to be processed.
- Background Clearance for Child Protective Services
- You’ll need to complete Part II of the following CPS Release of Information form. While completing the form, you will type the information into the form before printing it out. Any forms that are handwritten will be returned and need to be redone.
- This form will need to be taken to a notary so that Part III can be completed and notarized. (American Fingerprinting Services provides notary services for $4.00. There will be no reimbursement for the notary cost.)
- Once the form has been notarized you can either drop it off at the Calleva Office or Mail it in with your other paperwork.
Please make copies of all your certifications that are relevant to Calleva and your position and get them to Nicole in the office so she can put it in your file. This also includes CPR and First Aid certifications. If you are needing certifications, you must email your director.
Procedure for Borrowing Gear
We encourage you to use gear, but it must be used responsibly and respectfully. Every staff member has the privilege to use gear, however that privilege can be revoked at any time for using gear improperly, dangerously, or borrowing without returning, securing, or asking. Staff MUST follow the procedures for borrowing gear. Staff are NOT allowed to use any climbing gear or SUPs.
- Text Matt Foster who you are and which gear you want to use at what time/date. He will make sure it is available and yes or no your request.
- Text Foster a picture of the gear when you get to it so that he can see what condition it is in.
- Text Foster a picture of the gear after you’ve returned it so that he knows that you’ve put it back in an orderly way.
- If you do not have a smart phone let Foster know and he will work out a procedure for you.
- Everyone has 3 strikes. You can receive strikes for not contacting Foster, not returning gear properly, or for returning or putting away gear from your program in a messy, disorganized way.
- Calleva relies on this gear to ensure programs run smooth and you all know or will know that when the gear is in good shape where it is supposed to be, programs are better and staff are less stressed and rushed.
Bus Drivers and Counselors
All CDL DRIVERS and INSTRUCTORS need to read the Bus Safety & Driving Policy Handbook and attend Driver Training (ask you director of date and time).
We are looking for BUS COUNSELORS. If you are interested, please fill out this form. Some of the bus counselor responsibilities include taking daily attendance to and from camp, greeting campers and parents at the stop, and ensuring campers have a safe and fun trip to and from camp. FYI: being a bus counselor is additional pay each week.
Example of emails the office receives: BusFrustrations (yes,this is legit!)
If you were told you need your CDL. You have to fill out the MVA Medical Form & the MVA Medical Card filled out by physician and also study Chapters 1-4 and 11-13 of the Commercial Drivers License Manual (optional: download the app) Once you know the material, go to the MVA and take the test for your Learners Permit (Class B with Passenger & Airbrake Endorsements) AND Schedule a date for your Practical Test. Once you have your learners contact your director to schedule your driver’s training.
Camp Forms & Notes
- Need to call parent for any reason? You must send a follow-up email to office at calleva.org describing the call and what was discussed.
- Incident Form (behavioral).
- Accident Form(requires first aid).
- Evaluation by an Instructor, Head Counselor, or Junior Counselor.
- Reimbursement Form. Fill out form and place in envelope marked “Reimbursement” with a copy of the receipts and turn into office.
- 1stAid Class Notes
- CPR Class Notes
Dates to Remember
- May 13th Camp Open House Riley’s Lock 10 – 1pm
- May 30th-June 2nd HC Training days (inc. Thursday overnight)
- June 6-8th Instructor training challenge (mandatory for instructors)
- June 10th/11th ALL staff overnight and training (mandatory for all)
- June 12th Week 1 of camp (not counted as one of min work weeks)
- June 12-15th JC Training days (inc. Wednesday overnight)
- June 16th Instructor Professional Day (Instructors only)
- June 17/18 ‘Hard skills’ training weekends – climb, water, HBR & more!
- June 24/25 ‘Hard skills’ training weekends – climb, water, HBR & more!
- June 30th– Pay date for Weeks
- July TBD; ‘Hard skills’ training weekends – climb, water, HBR & more!
- July 31st- Pay date for Weeks
- Aug Fri 4th – Calleva PROM
- Aug 6th – Calleva Adventure Race (registration required)
- August 31st – Pay date for Weeks