- 9-2 pm
- Feb. 14th – May 9th (NO Class March 21st)
- $1200 for 12 sessions
- Ages 6-12
We are excited to announce Spring 2023 Nature Adventures!
We are excited to continue offering our popular Nature Adventures for students in Kindergarten through sixth grade. At Calleva, we understand the value of hands-on, real-life learning in the outdoors.
For over 25 years, we have been providing outdoor adventure education to students from hundreds of schools in the DMV. Our Nature Adventures program adapts these programs to meet the needs of our local families. Our staff are trained nature educators with years of experience teaching students of all ages outdoors.
Typical Session Flow
9:00am Arrival and welcome at Nature Adventure base camp
9:20am Daily briefing to talk about plans and safety.
9:30am Begin daily adventure
1:30pm Return to Nature Adventure base camp for an end of day recap
All programs based on Calleva farm (or short drivable distance from farm). Activities will include:*
- Wilderness exploration (shelter & fire building)
- Challenge course
- Climbing and hiking at Sugarloaf mountain or other areas within 45 mins drive from farm
- Env Science, Agriculture inc farm animals, Arts & nature
- Inside activities such as indoor climbing wall
*All winter land activities will be chosen by the instructor each week to suit the age/interest level of the group and weather conditions.
All Outdoor Adventure Activities may use a bus to ‘shuttle’ students from one location to another.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: As with every Calleva program, we will be outdoors in all weather.
- Children should be ready to spend their entire program/day out in the cold, damp Mid-Atlantic winter weather.
- They MUST arrive dressed for the outdoors, in suitable layers, footwear (waterproof winter boots), winter outerwear, gloves, hats, etc.
- Our covered but “open-air” barns provide shelter from precipitation but they are NOT heated. We will warm up around outdoor campfires whenever possible.
- Despite proper clothing and these other “warming” measures, there will be times when groups will need to warm up INDOORS. This means we will utilize a few heated rooms — small alcoves in our barns with electric heating — where we may retreat for some indoor activities. Children and adults will be wearing masks at all times when in these areas, but we do not have additional measures such as spaced-out tables or air filtration systems in place.
The Nature Adventures will meet every Tuesday from 9am – 2pm at the Calleva farm for sessions in the fall and spring.
Nature Adventures combines Elementary Science, Art, Agricultural Education and Outdoor Adventures into child-led experiences. This program focuses on inquiry based education and experiential problem-solving.
The research is solid. We know that a childhood that maximizes movement, nature and play fosters creativity, persistence, confidence, independence and self motivation. Outdoor play also improves mental health, environmental awareness and physical abilities.
We plan to be learning outside for 100% of the time, weather permitting. In the case of severe weather, we have various large barns and structures on the farm which can be used for shelter or as temporary learning areas. If away from the farm, the group will shelter in their bus or under a pavilion.
The Nature Adventures program will also be offered as individual sessions throughout the year on different days from 9am-2pm. Each session will have an overarching focus or theme while still allowing for child-led nature exploration.
Refunds, Cancellations & Staying Safe
In the case of cancellation on the part of Calleva or the client (including mandated closures due to Coronavirus), you will be offered a pro-rated refund minus 10% non-refundable registration fee per transaction, or you can choose to keep the pro-rated remaining amount with Calleva as credit towards a future program.
The nonrefundable portion of your tuition helps Calleva to cover admin and COVID cleaning protocols in addition to credit card processing fees.
Any medical related refund requests will be considered on an individual basis.
If you cancel on or after 14 days before your program start date, you are obligated to pay for your child(ren’s) spot in the semester.
If Calleva cancels one or more sessions due to a positive case within the group, we will offer parents the option of a refund for up to 2 weeks worth of sessions or a credit towards a future Calleva program.
Medical Authorization Forms will still needed for all medications.
Policy: Please read and understand our current policies regarding KEEPING STUDENT HEALTHY with expectations for both campers, families, and staff while we operate under these heightened conditions. We also encourage you to spend time understanding our Infectious Disease Policy which includes the most recent requirements from the Department of Health and American Camping Association. Any children, staff or individual of any age with underlying medical conditions that are considered to be higher-risk for severe illness if they contract COVID-19, will need to have a letter from their primary physician.