- $ 415 for the package, or register for each class individually
- Ages 12 and up
- 6:1 student to instructor ratio
- Courses run from May to October
- 2023 Package Start Dates
- May 20
- June 10
- July 8
- Aug 5
- Sept 9
- To register, scroll down to “Book” button
Intro to Kayak Touring
Learn on the river, take it to the sea!
A kayak is the best way to enjoy the water, and sea kayaks make it fun, dynamic and accessible to explore rivers and coasts. Over 3 weekends, you can learn the basics of paddling, gear tips, rescue skills and more with Calleva’s River School. From the Monuments in DC to beautiful Seneca Creek in Montgomery County, you will get a taste of all the Potomac has to offer!
- 4 class course, 10 hours of instruction, 4 hours of practice sessions!
- Learn the basics with two lessons at Columbia Island Marina
- Explore the Potomac River and learn rescue skills at Riley’s Lock
- ADDED THIS YEAR! Open Practices on Thursday nights included during the month of your package
- Come away with the skills and knowledge to enjoy the sport!
- L1 and L2, Saturday and Sunday, 9-11 a.m. at Columbia Island Marina
- L3 and L4 are Saturday’s 1-4 pm at Riley’s Lock
- Open Practices Thursdays 6-8 pm at Riley’s Lock
Rolling on the River– Wednesdays 6-8 pm, Saturdays, 4-6 pm
You can join any of the Rolling on the River Classes, you will be in whitewater boats
Beginner Trip to Mayo Beach
River Tours Explore the river in a canoe or kayak with our expert staff
Looking for something more personalized? Need to prepare for kayaking while on a cruise? Let our instructors help design the perfect program for you, or your group that meets your specific needs.