Level 5: Rescue Essentials
- Meet and greet group and instructors
- Get fitted for PFD, Helmet, Paddle, kayak
- Introduce the basic rescue equipment
- Paddle across the Potomac River to the mouth of the George Washington Canal
- Paddle through the GW Canal working on skills
- Set up rescue scenarios/ complete tasks as a group.
- Program wrap-up, discuss other Liquid Adventures classes.
Location: Rileys Lock
- Ages: 14 – Adult
- May – Sept
- Saturdays and Sundays
- 4 hours
- All kayaking gear provided
Everyone on the river has a responsibility to help in the event of a rescue scenario. Calleva’s Liquid Adventures believes in teaching beginner kayakers not only the skills to have a safe and enjoyable time on the river, but also what to do when things don’t go exactly according to plan. The GW canal is the perfect place to practice your skills of river running, but also the perfect place to learn essential skills of river rescue. Along with practicing the beginner skills we have learned in the previous lessons, students will be using throw ropes to get swimmers out of the water, learning the best swimming technique, and the most important skill- prevention. Avoiding an accident is the best rescue. This course is a very basic rescue class, please look at our Swift Water Rescue classes for more in-depth river rescue.
In all beginner-level classes boats are provided. Kayaks are hardshell with an enclosed cockpit like Liquid Logic Remixes or Dagger Mambas. Any student signed up for a package (3 or more) of classes with us is welcome to join Tuesday night Open Practice sessions all season long.