Our beginner river classes are structured into five progressive lessons, giving you all the skills you need to feel confident and competent on the river. We recommend that you take classes in order. Boat and equipment is provided. Just show up, prepared to get wet!
- Introduction (Level 1): Introduction- equipment and strokes, forward, backward and turning (2 hours)
- Level 2: Foundations- wet exiting, strokes for turns and directional control, intro to whitewater (2 hours)
- Level 3: Maneuvers- peel outs, eddy turns, ferries, t-rescue (4 hours)
- Level 4: River Running- river dynamics, stroke technique, introduction to rolling (4 hours)
- Level 5: Rescue Essentials- river signals, safety equipment and ropes, self-rescue, boat-to-boat rescue, rapid swimming (4 hours)
Each class is available to you one at a time or buy all five now and save $40!
Classes are generally held at Anglers Inn in Potomac, MD or Riley’s Lock in Poolesville, MD on Saturday or Sunday mornings.
Each class is available to you one at a time or in a package of three
Zero to Hero (Our Beginner PLP): Awesome, month-long program, including all five river classes, three rolling classes, and more – all in a fun, group environment. Students rave about these intensive, cost-effective programs.
Open Practice: Free to students who are signed up for a package of at least three lessons of any sort – at Lock 6 on Tuesday evenings. We supply the boats. You can get an evening of practice and hang out with paddling friends.