We are excited to continue offering our popular Nature Adventures — Formerly “Enrichment” — for homeschool students in Kindergarten through sixth grade. At Calleva, we understand the value of hands-on, real-life learning in the outdoors.
For over 25 years, we have been providing outdoor adventure education to students from hundreds of schools in the DMV. Our Nature Adventures program adapts these programs to meet the needs of our local families. Our staff are trained nature educators with years of experience teaching students of all ages outdoors.
Nature Adventure Weekly Sessions
- Ages: 6-12
- Ratio: 6 students to 1 staff
- $800 for 8 sessions
- January 27th – March 13th
- Sessions are based at the Calleva Farm, but may include travel to other locations
- Calleva Farm: 19120 Martinsburg Road, Dickerson, MD 20842
Typical Session Flow
9:00 am Arrival and welcome at Nature Adventure base camp
9:20 am Daily briefing to talk about plans and safety.
9:30 am Begin daily adventure
11:30 am Lunch
1:30 pm Return to Nature Adventure base camp for an end of day recap
All programs based on Calleva farm (or short drivable distance from farm). Activities will include*:
- Wilderness exploration (shelter & fire building)
- Challenge course
- Climbing and hiking at Sugarloaf mountain or other areas within 45 mins drive from farm
- Env Science, Agriculture including farm animals, Arts & nature
- Inside activities such as indoor climbing wall
*All winter land activities will be chosen by the instructor each week to suit the age/interest level of the group and weather conditions.
All Outdoor Adventure Activities may use a bus to ‘shuttle’ students from one location to another.
The Nature Adventures will meet every Tuesday from 9am – 2pm at the Calleva farm for sessions in the fall and spring.
Nature Adventures combines Elementary Science, Art, Agricultural Education and Outdoor Adventures into child-led experiences. This program focuses on inquiry based education and experiential problem-solving.
The research is solid. We know that a childhood that maximizes movement, nature and play fosters creativity, persistence, confidence, independence and self motivation. Outdoor play also improves mental health, environmental awareness and physical abilities.
We plan to be learning outside for 100% of the time, weather permitting. In the case of severe weather, we have various large barns and structures on the farm which can be used for shelter or as temporary learning areas. If away from the farm, the group will shelter in their bus or under a pavilion.
The Nature Adventures program will also be offered as individual sessions throughout the year on different days from 9 am-2 pm. Each session will have an overarching focus or theme while still allowing for child-led nature exploration.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: As with every Calleva program, we will be outdoors in all weather.
- Children should be ready to spend their entire program/day out in the cold, damp Mid-Atlantic winter weather.
- They MUST arrive dressed for the outdoors, in suitable layers, footwear (waterproof winter boots), winter outerwear, gloves, hats, etc.
- Our covered but “open-air” barns provide shelter from precipitation but they are NOT heated. We will warm up around outdoor campfires whenever possible.
- Despite proper clothing and these other “warming” measures, there will be times when groups will need to warm up INDOORS. This means we will utilize a few heated rooms — small alcoves in our barns with electric heating — where we may retreat for some indoor activities.
Refunds, Cancellations & Health Policies