Calleva is invested in education and leadership development in all of its programs. We want to grow campers, students, and our staff and we work hard to help all to develop new skills and become the leaders they are meant to be!
Part of this commitment is expressed through our internship program, which offers opportunities for college students who want to gain experience in education, outdoor adventure, and/or sustainable agriculture. Calleva can customize an internship that meets your personal scholastic and professional goals, at summer camp, working with schools during the academic year, and on our farm.
- EDUCATION MAJORS – Upcoming teachers can work with our school programs or our summer camp directors to create fun and educational outdoor experiences, experiment with group management in the outdoors, and test new ways of helping students apply classroom learning in the outside world. Calleva works with students ages preschool through high school.
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE MAJORS – College students who are passionate about the outdoors and about sustainability can engage with our Growing Green program, which is centered on our farm. We are looking for students who are enthusiastic to engage in the basics of farming, to teach and lead kids in farm maintenance, animal care, as well as sowing, cultivating and harvesting. We are committed to teaching about the connections between a healthy farm and its surrounding environment (the forests, streams, and meadows that interact with the farm all year round).
- RECREATIONAL MANAGEMENT MAJORS – College students who are pursuing coursework in outdoor recreation management work across all programs under the direction of senior Calleva leadership. This program is designed to provide experience and skills in administration, government relations, and program management with a chance to work with summer camp, school programs, high adventure trips, and leaders in training programs.
- OUTDOOR ADVENTURERS – Teamwork and building relationships is also a large part of Calleva internships and our community as a whole. Any student who is a team player interested in supporting our mission is welcome. We would love to talk to you about your goals, interests, and how we might help you build an internship experience that fits you. Teamwork makes the dreamwork.
We’d love to help you design an internship that is just right for you! Contact email@example.com to explore the possibilities!
Preferably an underclassman looking to pursue a degree in sustainability, agriculture, or animal pasture management. This intern will work with Calleva’s Growing Green Director.
- Practical application of humane animal care principles
- Execute feeding & water schedules (water and feed all farm animals every morning and afternoon)
- Repair and clean animal enclosures on a weekly rotation
- Weeding production rows
- Watering and repairing irrigation
- Helping lead educational programs for school groups
Preferably an upperclassmen who has experience working on a farm and is pursuing a career in agriculture. This intern will be a key member of Calleva’s farm team, under the management of the Farm Director
- Helping produce a nutrient management plan
- Implementing environmentally sound fertilization plan
- Sowing, cultivating and harvesting plants, including plant maintenance and monitoring
Farm Store & Farm Event Coordinator
Looking for an intern who is studying retail, hospitality or restaurant management and who is interested in sustainable food production to support the operations of Calleva’s brand new farm store in Poolesville, MD. This position is a bridge between farm and town.
- Working with Marketing & Admin Team to manage store inventory
- Working with Farm Team to track garden production and identifying produce to be delivered to the store
- Keeping accurate records of sales and garden production
- Working closely with our chef to prepare vegetables to be stocked at the store
- Preparing online orders for pickup at our store
- Supporting farm-to-table dinner series and other farm-based events
For more information about our Farm Internships, contact Farmer Max, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Internships include:
- Sustainable Farming Internship
- Environmental Education Internship
- Kitchen Internship
- Non-Profit Management Internship
- Marketing Internship
- Event Planning (Races, Dirty Dinners and Haunted Forest)
- Snow Club Management
- Summer Applications & Hiring
- Agricultural CSA development
- BioFuel Reactor Construction
- Overhaul paperwork for Transportation Dept.