Agriculture and Environmental
- Green Building
- Water & Soil
For years the Calleva Farm has been a supplement to many Calleva Programs. With a secure Adventure-based program, we invested heavily into what we knew was key for a solid foundation. As George Washington once said, “I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world”, and so we have created the ultimate platform to present Agricultural/Environmental-based education – The Calleva Farm. Agricultural/Environmental Education focuses on Sustainability, Stewardship, and Agricultural practices. Calleva is a MAEOE Certified Environmental Center.
Those interested in the farm or any environmental programming now have many GREEN choices:
- Choose a variety of workshops and rotate through them much like a Ropes Course
- Include Green Workshops into any standard Adventure-based program.
- Base the program at your facilty, and let us design projects and programming for your community at your community.
Underlying everything we do will be a focus on sustainability, stewardship, and learning about commercial farmings’ positive and negative effects on water, forest, animals and people. In addition to our extensive ongoing program options, you now have the opportunity to choose individual activites, concentrated programs, or any combination thereof from these new and exciting Green Programs. Throughout the years we continued to develop and implement additional unique adventures and learning experiences. Some of those include our Adventure Island, Biodiesel Set-up & Clarification Lab, Sustainable construction projects, River Ecology, Orienteering & Wilderness survival. Several of our staff are also trained in LNT training; Invasive Species; and DNR & Council for Environmental Education – Project Wet, Project Wild and Project Learning Tree. All programs can run as half-day, full-day, multiple day or any combination. Due to customization, pricing varies extremely. We offer transportation, food, and first-time discounts.
The Farming Component consists of a variety of agricultural-based workshops that can be tailored and configured in any way to meet your needs. Each workshop can work as either a 45 minute or 3 hour session that can be grouped with many other related or unrelated components! Some of these workshops are seasonal!
- Improving Soil (composting & rainwater collection)
- Sprouting plants (in a green house and seed planting)
- Weeding, Harvesting, and Eating
- Animal Husbandry (poultry, pigs, cattle and/or goats)
- Bees (hives, colonies, & pollen)
- Dairy (for making cheese and yogurt)
- Canning (fruits and vegetables)
- Field Trip (visiting local farms & Farmer’s Markets)
- Distribution (to schools, shelters, and food banks)
Facilities: Throughout the farm are: Chicken tractors, egg chicken house and brooder, portable electric fence, tool shed, large manure compost pile, small three bin garden waste and vegetable scrap composter, raised beds, cold frame, 80’x30′ Hoop House, seed starting materials, irrigation hoses, cover crops, lasagna gardening, apple-peach-pear trees, 10×10 shade pergola with grape vines, plastic mulch, rainwater collection on shed and chicken house, water tower, & bee hives.
Seasonal Crops: Our biggest crop is Hay for the horses (of courses), however we love to eat as well…
Spring: Beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, kale, lettuce, onions, peas, potatoes, radishes, spinach, & turnips.
Summer: Peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, melons, beans, potatoes, radishes, onions, beets, strawberries, wild black and raspberries, & lettuce.
Fall: Potatoes, all greens again, carrots, sweet potatoes, & parsnip.
Meat: Free range chickens, eggs, grass fed beef, goat, & pork.
Herbs: Mint, oregano, basil, dill, sage, rosemary, lemon balm, echinacea, cilantro, & parsley.
About: The Energy Component consists of a variety of alternative energy-based workshops that can be tailored and configured in any way to meet your needs. Each workshop can work as either a 45 minute or 3 hour session that can be grouped with many other related or unrelated components! Some of these workshops are seasonal!
- Biodiesel Lab (Fryer grease to Biodiesel fuel)
- Waste Vegetable Oil Collection (from local restaurants)
- Wind Energy (Hydro Wind with Gravity feed sistern)
- Solar Energy (photovoltiac energy capture)
- Possible SVO vehicle conversion project
- Possible Oil seed press
- Products & By-Products: Biodiesel, Rainwater, Glycerine, Soap, Greywater, Alcohol, Catalyst.
Related Studies: Chemistry, We cover titrations, catalysts, transesterfication, & pH. Math, calculations and unit conversions.
About: The Building Component consists of a variety of alternative building workshops that can be tailored and configured in any way to meet your needs. Each workshop can work as either a 45 minute or 3 hour session that can be grouped with many other related or unrelated components! Some of these workshops are seasonal!
- Sawmill sustainability (downed trees for fuel, furniture & framing)
- Straw bale vs. Cob vs. Rammed Earth for shelters
- Construction of Rain Water collection / Gray-water pond
- Construction/maintenance of composting toilet system
- Facilities: Sawmill, Woodworking Workshop, Tool Shed, Composting toilets, Water collection cistern, Water tower, Greywater Pond
- Products & By-Products: Lumbar, Sawdust, Strawbale, Clean Water, Dirty Water
Past Projects: Benches, Sukahs, Signs, Chess pieces, Temporary shelters.
About: This consists of a variety of forest-based workshops that can be tailored and configured in any way to meet your needs. Each workshop can work as either a 45 minute or 3 hour session that can be grouped with many other related or unrelated components! Some of these workshops are seasonal!
- Parts of a Tree (Project Learning Tree)
- Ring Study (Project Learning Tree)
- Tree Identification
- Decomposition of a Tree (Project Learning Tree)
- Invasive Weed Identification, Mapping, & Removal
- Facilities: 50 acres of woods with over 20 species of trees! Tree identification tags, maps, & games. Natural & Unnatural fallen trees in various stages of decomposition.
- Products & By-Products: Rich dark soil! habitat for organisms. lumbar. firewood.
Related Studies: Forestry, Ecology, Understory Vegetation, Mapping, Decomposition, Wildlife Habitat, Wild Edibles.
About: Water Quality Assessment is an important tool to determine the Environmental Health of an Ecosystem. Often, species in a creek can help to determine early impact of pollution and stressed water systems can indicate general stress of the whole area. This exercise gives students an out-of-the-classroom experience as to what Aquatic Biologists perform in our creeks and rivers each day. It also allows the students to make hypothesis about the results of their analysis. Student will have a chance to participate in a steam assessment project at the Calleva Farm (as long as flow is available!). Student will learn to assess stream health based on: 1) proximity to non-point and point source pollutants (reviewing area maps and land use); and 2) stream bank shade and stabilization (assess vegetation over story and erosion of banks).
- Water quality (Dissolved Oxygen, pH, temperature)
- Macrobenthic organism studies (EPT Index)
- Bank stabiliazation and litttoral vegetation
- Facilities: Greywater Pond, Water collection, Rain barrels, Cisterns, Water tower, Creeks, Confluence, Creek Beds, thermal pollution, Reed bed construction.
- Products & By-Products: Dirty water & Clean Water!
- Related Studies: Chemistry, Biota, Hydrology/Physical
Programming Options: All programs can run as full-day or multiple day experiences. We offer transportation, food, and first-time discounts. Call for pricing. Calleva still offers its Ropes course/Team building; River Day (combo of kayak, canoe, and raft), Split activities (any combo of activities), Senior/Class Projects, Intensive/Extended Study Weeks, Internships, Faculty Orientation, Corporate training, Summer Camp programs.