Counselors in training (CITs) get the best of both worlds, being part camper and part staff. CITs get to participate in daily camp activities while practicing the skills and responsibilities of Calleva staff. While having fun, they will also learn life skills, teamwork and strong work ethic. In order to be a CIT, you must do your best to fulfill the following expectations. The Calleva staff are more than willing to help you succeed in this. Please feel free to talk to the CIT director, or any other staff member, if you are having difficulty with any aspect of your role.
Calleva will host several free CIT outings on Wednesday evenings, which provide an opportunity for leadership training and a fun adventure!* Pending 2021 COVID guidelines
CIT: 14 or 15 years old
- Model good behavior, set the example, use appropriate language (you are a role model and younger campers are watching!)
- Be a friend to all campers. Encourage nervous or struggling campers. Be inclusive.
- Approach camp with a positive attitude – your enthusiasm is contagious!
- Communicate with the staff you are working with. Ask how you can help, and do your best to perform any tasks or responsibilities they give you.
- Never discipline other campers. Remember, you are still a camper yourself. Focus instead on modeling good behavior.
- Begin to think about camp from a counselor’s perspective. How can you help make transitions go smoothly? What are the group dynamics within your activity? What characteristics of the Calleva staff make them good leaders?
- CITs should plan on going on all overnights in activity camp, outside of extenuating circumstances, because that is where you are needed the most -as a role model and a leader for the other campers.
- Have fun!
- CIT applicants should register for the adventure camp activities and weeks of their choice per usual.
Please note that there are no CITs on high adventure trips.
Volunteer JC (15 yrs)
I am 15 this summer – should I be a camper (CIT) or apply as a volunteer JC?
…You can do BOTH!
As a volunteer, you will be placed where Calleva has a need as opposed to choosing your activity as a camper. You need to be available for at least 4 weeks, complete a staff application, attend an interview and staff training.
While we match skills where we can, we do not guarantee that you will be placed with a specific activity.
As a staff member, whether volunteer or paid, we aim to have a minimum 2 year age gap between counselors and campers, so it is likely that you will be helping with our younger age group.