Too much screentime? We are offering a variety of winter land adventures for your students from 3.30-5.30pm. Every Wednesday and/or Thursday. (Monday & Thursday for VA)
Separate groups for both Grades 1-5 and Grades 6-12
Scroll down for details!
After a long day in front of a computer; learn, connect, and bond with our horse as you develop skills and self confidence in our Saddle Club!
Wednesdays, Thursdays, and/or Fridays
12 week sessions for Grades 1-8
What’s your After School sport ~ Why not make it Kayaking? Build skills that take advantage of the mighty Potomac.
6 week sessions for Grades 6-12
M-F options based by skill level
“Must we always teach our children with books? Let them look at the mountains and the stars up above. Let them look at the beauty of the waters and the trees and flowers on earth. They will then begin to think, and to think is the beginning of a real education.”
~ David Polis
EARLY WINTER Land Sampler. Starting week of November 2nd
12 students : 2 Calleva staff (12 max/8 min students)
MARYLAND (Carderock) Wednesdays & Thursdays
VIRGINIA Mondays & Thursdays
3.30pm-5.30pm: $225 for 1 session/wk for 5 weeks
Group for grades 1-6
Maryland Land Sampler: Carderock Parking Lot DO/PU
Virginia Land Sampler: Madeira Campus DO/PU
After School Early Winter 2020
After a long day on-line, we are excited to offer a variety of options to meet your adventuring needs. Layer up and get on your hiking boots for some fun winter Calleva Land adventures!
Land Sampler @ Carderock is based at one of our favorite spots along the C&O. It is an ideal spot for many of our popular activities; hiking the Billy Goat trail, setting rappels, climbing routes and working bouldering problems are all activities that we do best* ~ Join the team and thrive in the outdoors.
Land Sampler @ the Calleva Farm: Activities on the farm include our wooded challenge course with high and low elements, plus hiking, scavenger hunts and shelter & fire building… And of course always time to visit our farm animals – pigs, sheep, chickens, turkeys, bunnies and horses!*
Land Sampler @ Virginia includes our incredible team building challenge course as well as a state of the art Arial Course. Our private hiking trails and climbs make this the perfect spot to step into the outdoors!* Monday & Thursday programs (NOT Wednesdays)
*All winter land activities will be chosen by the instructor each week to suit the age/interest level of the group and weather conditions.
Parents will need to get their children to and from their chosen activity.
- After School Land @ Carderock: Carderock Recreation Area
- After School Land @ Calleva Farm: Calleva Farm in Dickerson, MD
- After School Land @ Virginia: Madeira Campus, VA
Social Distancing: We know how much safer it is to be outside than inside, but we also know we cannot eliminate all the risks. This Fall, we are continuing to follow extensive advice from the CDC and American Camp Association joint guidance (Field Guide for Camps), which recommends groups (of up to 15 – including staff) can operate at low risk outside in a ‘cohort’ model, like a family or household. According to their guidance, this applied to a day camps as well as overnight camps in conjunction with other daily health checks. While our staff constantly remind children to keep their distance from each other (discouraging physical contact), they will not be required to keep a strict 6 ft physical distance from each other or wear masks when engaged in physical activities.
*Masks will also be worn by Calleva staff and children during the following times: when having temperature taken, when being given first aid and if moving to a small indoor location due to extreme weather.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: As with every Calleva program, we will be outdoors in all weather.
- Children should be ready to spend their entire program out in sometimes cold, damp Mid-Atlantic winter weather.
- They MUST arrive dressed for the outdoors, in suitable layers, footwear (waterproof winter boots), winter outerwear, gloves, hats, etc.
- Our covered but “open air” barns provide shelter from precipitation but they are NOT heated. We will warm up around outdoor campfires whenever possible.
- Despite proper clothing and these other “warming” measures, there will be times when groups will need to warm up INDOORS or shelter from severe weather. This means we will utilize a few heated rooms — small alcoves in our barns with electric heating — where we may retreat for some indoor activities. Children and adults will be wearing masks at all times when in these areas, but we do not have additional measures such as spaced out tables or air filtration systems in place.