Remembering where we have been is important of understanding who we are and where we are going.
2017 will mark our 24th anniversary, and we can honestly say that this journey has been full of surprises and adventures!! Nick, Alex & Matt Markoff founded Calleva in 1993 as a small summer camp. Today, Calleva is known as an innovator in outdoor education, with 100+ school and community partners in the DC metropolitan area. Our success is built upon the passion of our founders, who love introducing kids to the outdoors and teaching them to achieve their very best in every activity.
Calleva was initially modeled after Valley Mill Camp, where the Markoff brothers grew up working with their family. However, over the years Calleva has developed its own unique brand of outdoor adventure that encompasses summer camp, wilderness educational experiences, environmental education and small-scale sustainable farming. Rather than headquarter all of our activities in a single location, Calleva has created an innovative variety of MOBILE programming, taking participants to the best parks, trails, rivers and rocks in our region while operating an educational farm in Montgomery County’s Agricultural Reserve.
As a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit, Calleva gets city kids (of all ages!!) out into DC’s backyard for homegrown fun and adventure. We are a mission-oriented organization and we work every day to help.
- For Youth: through summer camp, Calleva Leadership School & other teen programs, collaboration with local schools & other community partners;
- For Groups: through school programming and corporate teambuilding, leadership training, instructional programs and other customized events;
- For Athletes: through fun and challenging races designed to push and
- For Families: through adventures that strengthen the ties between parents, kids and extended family groups, getting outdoors with your families in a variety of fun and festive outings; and
- Our Community: through practical efforts that help raise awareness about the traditions, local resources and common values that knit us together.