2018 Scholarships are now closed
- Scholarships for Summer 2018 have already been awarded.
- Please check back here in December 2018 for the scholarship application for Summer 2019
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
As a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit, Calleva is happy to offer a variety of scholarships to summer campers, students and scouts who are interested in participating in our programs. Our scholarship fund is fed by revenue from Markoff’s Haunted Forest, an annual event which we organize on our farm every October.
MHF Scholarships are awarded on a needs-only basis to children who cannot afford to pay full tuition for Calleva summer camp. Our scholarship committee assesses applicants on the basis of need and awards scholarships before the end of March. For the past 5 years, MHF Scholarships have also been awarded through Montgomery County’s Linkages to Learning program. Officials at Linkages to Learning help Calleva identify students from southern Montgomery County who would benefit from a week with us in the outdoors.
The George Kephart Scholarship Fund was created in 2012 to honor a man who exemplifies the values that we hold high at Calleva. George was a friend and mentor who was a tremendous help to Calleva as we have evolved over the last several years. This Fund is established to provide assistance to:
- Poolesville families who need help paying for Calleva’s Growing Green summer programs;
- High school students who need help financing environmental/sustainability projects as part of their course of study; and
- Scout projects at Calleva Farm, with a specific emphasis on sustainable agriculture or environmental/resource conservation.
The Hal Magleby Scholarship Fund was created to honor a Calleva camper that inspired many of us. Hal was a young man who spent several summers with us before being diagnosed with a terminal illness. Hal’s last wish was to spend a week on a Calleva high adventure — a full week out in the wilderness with a group of high-energy Calleva staff and teenage campers. He was a huge inspiration to his team that week, as he hiked, climbed, paddled and camped all over the Linville Gorge. In honor of Hal’s strength, passion and incredible perseverence, Calleva awards scholarships to Calleva High Adventures & Leaders in Training participants in his name.