Scholarship Applications are due January 14.
The Application/Registration Request for is a GoogleDoc that can be submitted electronically. There is no application fee.
- Must include (1)Completed Application/Scholarship Registration Request, (2)signed waiver, (3)Letter of interest from your prospective camper, and (4)Proof of income or financial need
- Awards will be announced through email before the end of February
- Contact [email protected] with questions
As a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit, Calleva is happy to offer a variety of scholarships to summer campers, students and scouts who are interested in participating in our programs. Our scholarship fund is fed by revenue from Markoff’s Haunted Forest, an annual event which we organize on our farm every October.
Despite the Covid disruption and related revenue downturn for Calleva, we are glad to announce that we will offer full and partial scholarships in 2021.
Scholarship requests are due on January 14. Requests will be evaluated by an independent scholarship committee and awards announced before the end of February.
Calleva’s MHF Scholarships are awarded on a needs basis to children who cannot afford to pay full tuition for Calleva summer camp. Several of Calleva’s scholarships have been created to honor specific individuals who are inspiring members of our extended community.
The Walk Like Will Scholarship is new this year. It’s established by the Hovis Family (Kristy, Gerald & Sophia) in honor of their son & brother Will, who was a true Calleva-style adventurer. In 12 short years, Will played almost every known sport, hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim, played the trumpet, whitewater rafted, snowboarded, snorkeled, surfed, fished, crabbed, and did a thousand other wonderful things a kid can do. In January 2019 Will was diagnosed with glioblastoma, a rare, aggressive, and mostly terminal form of brain cancer. After a courageous battle, he succumbed to cancer in April 2020. Will LOVED being outdoors and enjoyed kayaking, rock climbing, rafting & hiking. As an enthusiastic and memorable participant in Calleva’s summer programs, we’re honored to join with the Hovises to present a camp scholarship in his name. We believe it’s a fitting way to make Will’s memory a blessing by enabling other kids to experience the joy of nature like he did. The Walk Like Will scholarship is offered for a Calleva camper between the ages of 8-12 who meets the following criteria:
- They are pursuing their first or second Calleva summer
- They are registered for a Sampler or Explorer camp week (an introduction to a variety of outdoor adventure sports); and
- They express a genuine personal interest in an outdoor adventure experience.
The George Kephart Scholarship Fund was created in 2012 to honor a friend and mentor who exemplified the values that have helped us evolve into the organization we are today. George valued community and was a tireless advocate for local farms and the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve. His namesake scholarship is intended to support:
- Poolesville campers enrolling in Calleva’s Growing Green summer programs;
- Montgomery County high school students undertaking environmental/sustainability projects as part of their academic year; and
- Scout projects at Calleva Farm, with a specific emphasis on sustainable agriculture or environmental/resource conservation.
Campers should indicate they’re applying for a George Kephart scholarship as part of their letter of interest, which should be submitted along with their request form.
The Hal Magleby Scholarship Fund was created in the early 2000s to honor a Calleva camper that has inspired many of us. Hal spent several summers with us before being diagnosed with a terminal illness. His last wish was to spend a week on a Calleva high adventure. During a full week out in the wilderness with a group of high-energy Calleva staff and teenage campers, Hal was a huge inspiration. He hiked, climbed, paddled and camped all over the Linville Gorge. To honor Hal’s strength, passion and incredible perseverance, Calleva awards scholarships the Hal Magleby Scholarship to campers interested in the West Virginia High Adventures (participants must be 12-16 years old).